Sunday, March 28, 2010

Changes in Art History propelled by Changes in Technology

The question I am going to address today is:

We've seen how changes in art history have been propelled by changes in technology (painting, photography, and film). How might contemporary technological shifts create changes in perspective? Consider one specific example in your response (cell phone? iPod? digital video???)

I will consider the evolution of the cell phone. I believe that the technological shifts in the design of a cell phone has created changes in perspective. The cell phone has created changes to what is and isn't considerent art. When cell phones first came out, all you could do was dial a phone number. Now that cell phones have evolved, you can dial a phone number, sms text, instant message, take pictures and record videos. Thus, for example, whether I am at home or I visit another country, I don't even need a camera. As long as I have my cell phone I am set! Not only can cell phones dial, sms text, instant message, take pictures, and record videos, most cell phones also have the option to use the internet! Thus, these pictures and videos can be uploaded on facebook and other websites, and can also be sent to a friend via text. What does this equal? Globalization. The question now is, should these globalized videos and pictures be viewed as art? In my opinion, I believe that anything can be seen as art.

Thus, in my eyes, someone taking a picture with a loved one or even a picture of a still tree is artistic. A million dollar art painting could be an image of a thin black straight line with a white background; art is the meaning behind what is actually before your eyes. It must be remembered that art is rarely ever expicit. Cell phone photos and videos are sometimes candid moments, and these candid moments create memories. Once these memories are uploaded for others to see, it becomes artistic because the viewer begins to imagine what exactly was said right before the picture, what exactly is going on in the picture, why the picture was taken, who took the picture, what the picture is symbolizing etc. These are all the same questions we might ask ourselves when we visit a digital art gallery are they not?


We live around art, we make art; We are art.

signed,

g.i.a.c.w.

No comments:

Post a Comment